verse of the day

Saturday, October 31, 2009

3 Old Chairs = 1 ReNEWed Bench


This set of 3 matching chairs have been in our home for some 20 years, purchased at a garage sale for $12 (for all 3).  They've been moving room to room as extra table seating, desk, and bedroom chairs.  Most recently they were moved to our screenhouse (a corn crib in its former life) to serve as extra seating. Chair cushions had helped with maintaining their usefulness as the rush seats were starting to sag & fall apart.  When I came across the CL makeover (see link below), I knew this was what I wanted to do with them.  It was a bit tricky in parts due to having to cut the plank seat around the tops of these chair legs (with the help of my dh), but it was well worth the effort.  I love how it looks on our back porch- so inviting and a place for our cat to dine.


Closeup of chair back and seat
 

Here are some pics of the project in progress.



Painting is done, now to the finishing details

 
Plank seat consists of 2 reclaimed tongue n groove barn boards
cut to fit and glued with Gorilla Wood Glue
Tongue was left exposed on front for added detail. (see photo above)

LOVE this paint!  It's so creamy and gives such a smooth finish.





The added touch to attach plank to chairs
(1st drill a hole big enough or wood will split)


Supplies:
Pittsburg Pure Performance (zero VOC) Black Satin

3M sanding pad w/80 grit
Old square nails
Drill and drill bit to predrill holes for nails
2 Reclaimed barn-boards

Gorilla Wood Glue


18 comments:

  1. I love the bench. That's so creative, and I love the black. Great job.

    www.VintageRemixed.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great project! I love anything painted black too. Such a great piece for your porch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg!

    this is incredible! brillant. love this sort of look & style.

    HAPPY SPRING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea! I found you via Donna's Saturday Night Special. I like your charming style and am adding you to my sidebar so I can keep an eye on all your awesome ideas. I'm on an old farm place too and need all the ideas I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your bench. Cute idea. I see 3 chairs for sale sometimes on Craigslist and I think what do you do without the 4th chair. Now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. Great idea when you only have 3 chairs and not 4!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun project!

    Happy Spring!

    : )

    Julie M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is great- i may have to sock that idea away in my head. How creative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Clever! Looks good! Oh...and love the music :)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing project. You did a fabulous job. Looks perfect on your back porch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sooooooooo fabulous! I just love the style of chairback for this look! Colour is right on too. I'm impressed! I've put you up on the SNS sidebar for the weeknd.

    Thanks for making FJI look good! :)

    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous idea. I love it. So cute for the porch. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Creative idea! You should stop by peppertowne.com and enter this in our contest, the winner will get free advertising for one month on Peppertowne.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cool project and a great way to transform chairs with broken seats. I also lvoe the old style nails you used.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great idea. These chairs turned bench look so inviting!
    ~Danylle

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks great! I've been wanting do this for extra seating in my dining room with some extra chairs I have, but wasn't sure exactly how I would make the seat itself because the tops of my chair legs stick up like yours. Now I know what to do, and know it will look good, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do have more instructions on how to connect the chairs, or do you just connect everything with the nails?

    I love this. I have been waiting a long time to do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi james,
      i have an added link to the original Country Living post on how to build this bench at the end of my article. basically the chairs are held together with the wood planks nailed to the chairs. hope that helps!

      Delete

i love hearing from you! please leave me your comments or questions. thanks for stopping by.
judi

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips