verse of the day

Sunday, August 29, 2010

a little bit of this & a little bit of that


i recently finished a project which was a gift for a dear friend for her birthday (a monumental one at that).  the original picture was purchased for $1 at a yard sale a few months ago.  it was a 1/2-inch thick wood laminated etched picture.  it was in sad shape but the size of the frame was perfect for what i had in mind.

before:
it took a. lot. of. work. due to the learning curve i was on.  the decision to remove the laminate from the back was NOT a good idea but what's one to do when you're already knee deep into the project...well, you just. keep. going. and HOPE that your mistake will develop into something better!  
i first removed the frame from the wood picture before beginning on the torturous laminate removal.  with some much needed help from mr.1829 and his trusty side-kick "blowtorch", the last bits of laminate were removed in no time.  
then once sanded, wood puttied (due to the laminate not wanting to let go of the wood AND being a bit too aggressive with the scraper) and chalkboard painted, it was well on its waywith the addition of a little bit of this and a little bit of that from my stash of "junk", it is now a message center for her kitchen.   some of the inspiration for the elements was found via an online google of chalkboards (silverware hooks) and pottery barn (the burlap pocket) i added the stenciled corkboards, modge podged clothespins, and scrabble tile pushpins for some funky detail as well as the yardstick border.



















it was such a fun project from inspiration to design to completion...especially since it was for someone near and dear to me..."my 12th".  

you may be wondering about that number 12.  It began oh so many years ago when i came across this writing by terri camp, which i had emailed to my bff.  here is an excerpt below that explains it all.

my twelfth best friend by terri camp
...i'm guessing at this moment you are pondering how someone could actually want to claim the title of another person's twelfth best friend.  is it because i am so popular that she has gotten in line with all the others who claim "best friend" status?  is it that she is just so happy to have me for a friend she is willing to allow herself to be considered my twelfth best friend?  no.  the fact is, she had to get in line behind my family. in the best friend line, first comes Jesus, then Steve, then my eight children, followed by my dear sister, which leaves my next best friend in number twelve status.  you know, Jesus had twelve best friends, so i guess it's okay if i do too...

my bff has 9 members in her family, thus the number nine after their nameshe has a wall on the side of her pantry that i sneakily had one of her children measure to be sure it would work...it was a perfect fit!  i love it when that happens.  with the addition of heavy duty picture hangers, wall anchors and a set of chalk ink, it was finished.   
if you have any questions regarding any of the "how-to's" for this project, just shoot me an email, i'd be happy to help.





project supplies:
gorilla wood glue
gorilla super glue
modge podge
craft paint (for stencils)
5-inch stencils
scrabble tiles
thumbtacks
yardstick - cut to fit
corkboard tiles
chalkboard paint
chalk (for prepping surface)
burlap
vintage silverware: knife, fork, spoon
mini clothespins
old hymnal pages- cut to fit clothespins
chalkboard eraser 
chalk ink markers
picture hangers & wall anchors


linking up to Funky Junk Interiors SNS#45 & #69

 The CSI Project  and Transformation Thursday


Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special    

17 comments:

  1. I love the size of this. It turned out really well. I hope your friend liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really kinda cool Judi....:-)
    **Tami

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judi.. this is fabulous@ What a nice gift it is for your friend. I love what you have written on it.
    great job!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. that has to be one of the most thoughtful gifts i have ever seen. that would make me cry if i recevied it, for sure. and i do believe everyone should have lots of best friends. life's too short for just one bff, and it's such a better journey when you have lots of people you love to share in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a thoughtful gift, Judi~ I am sure she loved it! Your 12th story was really sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judi,
    That turned out fabulous! Great and thoughtful gift for a dear friend. Love your new picture. smiles, alice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Judi, This is wonderful and what a great gift for your friend. She is going to love it!
    Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet gift! You worked so hard on it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You just gave me a gift too. Who would think after all these years someone would have one of my random ramblings in a file somewhere to pull out and use. Wow! I'm definitely forwarding this post to Debi aka my 12th best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful and thoughtful birthday present! I'm sure your 12th best friend loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Judi! I love everything about this, all the special details, the story, the verse. What an extra special gift...thanks for sharing it with us! Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are very creative and I am glad to have found your blog site. I have not been posting on mine for a while. I have been too busy battling lung cancer. I am raising my 18 yr. old granddaughter but she is my care giver. She started college last week and I am so happy for her.

    I am drinking from my saucer cause my cup has over flowed!

    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Turn up the music! I love this song. For a non-diyer, I really admire all of your hard work and creativity. Good stuff, my friend. And yes, those goodies will be somewhere soon. Ummm...in Texas. Are you coming to Texas? ~Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is great! I love all of the extras on it! I bet she LOVED IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a special gift I am sure your friend will just love. It is the best kind too - homemade with lots of thought put in to who will receive it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a super project and what a good friend you are. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous ~ I love it! Love the use of the silver ware ~ what a great gift. If I recall your last post was about a gift for someone else ~ can I be your friend? What a blessing you are to your family and friends. Stopping by from FJI-SNS
    http://welcometotheturnerfarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

i love hearing from you! please leave me your comments or questions. thanks for stopping by.
judi

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips