verse of the day

Friday, November 5, 2010

hello goodbye

i waivered on whether to post on this or not...since this really isn't about decor or junk or being thrifty...but when something is a part of your life for so very long, it's hard not to want to share and document that part of you.


hello cuddles
such a sweet face
(i was referring to the dog)


on wednesday, September 15th,
our 15 year old cairn terrier had to be put down.  

k and cuddles

playing in the snow

patiently waiting for her Christmas present of treats
always in the same bag each year
she would sit by the tree staring and waiting for it

she had stopped eating, couldn't stand and was losing control. 
all this happened within a 24 hour period.  

i had mentally prepared that this day may be coming and prayed that the decision would be clear to me.  we didn't want her to suffer or have her life prolonged due to our selfishness of not wanting her to leave us.   
she had lived 15 years, a long time for a dog. 
it wasn't an easy decision to make but i had peace about it.

she had ALWAYS been full of energy until about 6 months ago when she really started showing her age and slowing down and then about 2 months ago she started losing weight,
despite trying everything possible to add weight to her little frame. 
she had lost over 2 lbs. since mid-may when she weighed in at 12.5 lbs. 

there was difficulty in going up and down stairs, showing signs of incontinence and not wanting to eat.  thinking at first it was her age and not wanting to chew the hard food, we added water and canned food.  this worked for a while but for the week prior, she had started to eat less and less.  the thought of the end coming soon was beginning to be clearer. 

on that wednesday, she tried to eat but then couldn't hold it down. 
later in the afternoon, i heard her trying to move and found her unable to get up
with her legs splayed out. 
thinking she was weak from not eating (she hadn't really eaten the day prior) i tried peanut butter.  she loved it but that didn't last either. 
i then called our vet who wanted to see her, preparing me that we may have to make a decision.  i then contacted the kids and hubs to let them know.

our son accompanied me to the vet office, a 30 minute drive, for moral support.  we were the last to be seen, when i put cuddles down on the scale to be weighed, i had to lay her down as she couldn't stand steadily.
within moments, the vet was sure we were making the right decision.


15 years of kisses, cuddles, fun, laughter and crazy tricks

goodbye cuddles
july 31, 1995 ~ september 15, 2010
hanging out on the deck this summer





18 comments:

  1. aw judi, my heart is aching for you. i am a dog lover and owner as well, and i know the pain of losing a dog. there are none on this world who love us so inconditonally, always there with an ear, and sense your emotions. i have had some sad times in my life, and knowing i could cry with my dog's head in my lap always comforted me. i know you and your family will always hold a special place in your hearts for cuddles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judi...bless you and your family. I am about a Winter (I hope at least) away from the same situation with my 14 YO Doxie. I have been where you were many times, and it is never easy, but your little Cuddles will be waiting for you when it's time. She is out of pain and well again!

    God Bless


    Lynne
    dlynne172@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Judi ...I know your heart must be sad and lonely for cuddles ...It's a natural feeling for any of us to havve. I'm so glad cuddles had such a wonderful home with you and your family and that he was as blessed to have you as you were to have him. Our pets are so near and dear to us ..and for me they are my children.

    Thank you for being such a good pet mommy ..!

    I have 2 golden retrievers 1 is 16 and the other 14 ..and we wonder how much longer each of them will have with us ..For now we count each day a blessing and I'm sure we will face that day soon enough when we have to let them go too. Not a day I look forward too but one I know must be faced eventually. I pray I have the courage you have shown to do so.

    Blessings ..to you and your family !

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss. This post is so sad but so sweet. We've been there and understand the decision. So glad it was clear and you have peace. That will help. What a lucky puppy to have had that many healthy years with a wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Judi, my heart aches for you. It's one of the hardest things about having a pet in your life, the knowing that there is a limited amount of time you will have to enjoy them. It's very apparent you made the most of your time with Cuddles and I hope your happy memories of the unconditional love he gave you tempers the pain you are feeling today.
    Sometimes we don't remember to enjoy the time we have with our furry family or get the chance to say goodbye, and that makes the end so much harder to bear.
    You have been blessed with many years of love, and Cuddles will be patiently waiting for you at the Rainbow bridge.
    hugs,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judi, so sorry you and your family had to go through this. It's a heart aching decision I know. You have wonderful memories of Cuddles to hold on to. Such a sweet little face :)Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terribly sorry for your loss. It was like you were telling almost the same story I went through a few years ago. As hard of a thing as it is to do, you know in your heart it was the right thing.

    Take care, Missy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Judi, I'm so sorry to hear this...even though you know it is right, it is so hard and sad. Pets bring so much love into our families~ Cuddles looks like he was such a sweet dog, and I know you will all miss him very much...XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. judi, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved cuddles.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh honey, I'm so sorry. I'm crying as I read your tribute because I know all too well the pain of losing a treasured pet. She was an adorable dog and the photos capture her personality.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Judi, Im so sorry......I dread the day I'll have to do this as well. We dog lovers know how short life is with our furry companions. It sound like you made the right choice, and may the happy memories begin to ease the grieving....

    ReplyDelete
  12. sorry about your loss- these little guys truly are family! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If Cuddles could talk, she would thank you for loving her so much ... so much that you were willing to do the hardest thing of all ... you loved her enough to set her free and end her suffering ... though it broke your heart to do it. This is the highest form of love we can show for our pets, who have given us so much in their short lives. You and your family are in my prayers. Run free, Cuddles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A bittersweet post but one that needed to be shared. Many of us will face this same situation as we are blessed with furry friends. I know our family will be dealing with this in the next few years, we all see it coming. It is through your unshelfish sharing of your journey that we all can find peace in those hard to make decisions for the love of our furry children.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Judi, thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such a wonderful comment. I want to express my sincere sympathy for the loss of your precious dog Cuddles.

    Dogs are such important members of our families and when one is ill and we have to make that decision it is so very hard. You can take comfort in the knowledge that you gave Cuddles the absolute best life any dog could hope for, and I'm sure she is smiling down on you all saying thank you!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  16. Judi, I am so sorry for your loss. As a pet lover (and owner) myself, I know how much a pet becomes part of the family.

    ReplyDelete

i love hearing from you! please leave me your comments or questions. thanks for stopping by.
judi

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips