Here is Part 3 of The 1829 Farmhouse kitchen project. This project was started in October 2008 and finished December 2009 (well almost). Go here for Part 1 and Part 2
So on with the journey...
To recap, the water disaster was actually a cloud with a silver lining in that we HAD to remove the linoleum flooring (boo hoo). It ONLY took 6 months to get to the ripping up of the floor, but for now I'm getting ahead of myself. After the water mess was cleaned & dried up (took about 3 days with commercial dryers & fans), we were back on track.
Our contractor, Ed, returned the next week and worked on installing the following:
- Ikea countertop (drove 3 hrs and back in one day as it was cheaper than shipping)
- E-granite composition sink (ebay store)
- Price Pfister orb faucet/sprayer combo (ebay store:faucets.com) (a bargain at $28 and it was new!)
- wood beadboard (Home Depot)
The image below isn't exactly our layout but its fairly close. There is a deck door to the immediate left of the stove, sink is centered under the window, fridge is directly across from stove and the countertop shown is how it use to be. Now the countertop is a straight run with a rolling cabinet to the right of the stove.
Above you see where the Ikea counter is set to be cut to fit and below is the other end of counter.
Here is the kitchen as it was in December 2008. Still lacking cupboard doors and paint but functional for the holidays.
Around about April we had our carpenter, Darrin, step in to make the cupboard doors, two drawers and the trash/recycle bin (my fav). He is an excellent finish carpenter and knows my likes & dislikes...which translates that he's great to work with. He converted what was 3 deep drawers on each side of sink to a drawer and cupboard on left, and a drawer and trash bin on right. To make it appealing to the eye, he also made a false drawer front for center cupboard (below sink) that tilts out to hold my scrubbers and sponge.
Below are the cupboard doors in the raw (before tung oil). This first pic is a cupboard that was longer and we cut the divider out to make an area for the microwave. You can see that the beadboard was not finished. The back wall of the cupboard (you can see through the window) had beadboard applied later as well.
The glass for the window portion of the door are reclaimed old bubble/wavy window glass. I had ordered some online and then found I had some old windows in the shed. Oh well, it worked out since 1 of the panes that I ordered didn't exactly suit the "old" look so I used my own for that opening.
In July 2009
we (my hubby & crew) removed the 2 layers of linoleum flooring. He then spent two weeks (of vacation) trying to remove the mastic. He basically used Goo Gone & Citrus Stripper in large quantities to cut through the yuk. It did the trick. We lived with the floor like this until November when we had it refinished. You can see the Before & After here.
Below you can see that the old white multi-layered paint was finally removed from upper cupboards, base cupboards revamped, beadboard installed & walls painted. The base cupboards still awaiting their topcoat of black paint.. This pic below was taken during the floor refinishing, thus the fan in window removing stinky smell from room...it was bad!
There was still much to do from the point we were at in the above pic, but we could see the end in sight. If we learned anything from this remodel, it was how to be patient, steadfast and to not give up!